Welcome to episode four of AI in Action, the podcast that explores the applications and implications of data science, machine learning and Artificial Intelligence in Ireland.
Our goal is to share with you the insights of technologists and data science enthusiasts to showcase the excellent work that is been done within AI in Ireland.
My guest on the show today is Anthony O’Neill, who is the Director at Eir’s Analytics Centre of Excellence. Anthony is a commercially-focused analytics leader with a successful track record in discovering and operationalising insight-driven strategy.
Anthony worked at fellow telecommunications companies O2 and Vodafone earlier in his career, before making the switch to Eir in late 2010. His role as their Director of Planning, Insights and Customers allowed him better understand Eir’s customers and in turn, deliver a better service in order to retain and grow the business.
In 2015, he took up the role as director at Eir’s Analytics Centre of Excellence where the aim is to build a sustainable competitive advantage for Eir through commercial insight and understanding drivers of value in the market. Eir’s broadband network now sees just over 1.7m homes and businesses passed by fibre and this will reach 1.9m by the end of 2018 through the current rollout of gigabit broadband to over 300,000 homes across Ireland.
In this episode of the AI in Action podcast, you will learn about:
- Anthony’s background and what attracted him to work with Eir
- How Eir uses data science to help them make better decisions in a more complex environment
- How the opening of the Centre of Excellence in 2015 made life easier for Eir’s Data scientists
- The toughest challenges the Data Science team faces at Eir and making sure to always deliver what the customer wants
- How they prioritise the most important challenges to focus on
- How Eir uses data analytics to stay ahead of their competition
- What’s in store for the future of Eir’s Centre of Excellence and their rollout of Gigabit fibre broadband to 300,000 homes around Ireland
- Where Anthony believes the future of data science is heading in the next few years
What did you make of Anthony’s podcast? Where do you see the future of data science heading in the next few years? I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment below.
If you would like to hear more from AI in Action then please subscribe and don’t forget to like and share with your friends on social media.
Subscribe to the AI in Action Podcast:
AI Awards 2018: Applications Now Open
Connecting Ireland’s AI ecosystem for a higher purpose
Applications are now open for you to take part in the inaugural AI Awards and showcase your skills and expertise to the AI community on the island of Ireland.
The AI Awards is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to promoting, advancing and rewarding corporate and academic excellence in Artificial Intelligence (AI) innovation, research & development and products.
It is our mission to support the AI community by recognising the hard work and dedication of those working in the field and to help promote and market Ireland globally as the first-choice home for AI investment and job creation in research and product development.
For more information on how to apply to take part in the AI Awards, then head over to www.aiawards.ie